I’ve read that people who are breastfed are more likely to breastfeed their own children. But what if you don’t come from a family where breastfeeding is the norm? What if your partners’ parents hate the idea of you breastfeeding? What if you partner wants you to formula feed but you want to breastfeed? I’ve sold Lactivist t-shirts to many mums who say that they stop mother in laws negative comments but what else can you do to get support instead of critisism?
Here are some ideas – I’d love you to add to the list!
- Join a local breastfeeding support group to find support outside of the family
- Find like minded people online, Facebook is full of breastfeeding groups!
- Talk to them about the benefits of breastfeeding
- Talk to them about the dangers of formula feeding
- Tell them that you can only breastfeed naked, with the lights on bright and the curtains open whilst shouting ‘look at these big mamas’ unless they support your decision, in which case you will be able to nurse discreetly
- Find breastfed role models and drop them into every conversation – Madonna was breastfed, Pelé the footballer was breastfed until he was 5……
Please add your ideas by commenting below