After a lot of thinking and consulting with the other volunteer admins who run the Lactivist Facebook page we have put it back online.
I’m going to take a step back from it because I need some time to recover from the criticism that I am just in it for the money. I’ve spent years on a very low income because I have thrown my time and energy at the supportive side of Lactivist rather than the money making side. I’ve decided that in order to keep Lactivist running I have to start running it as a business. I cannot continue to live on £400 or so a year profit.
Profits from www.lactivist.co.uk and www.lactivistbling.co.uk (which sells nursing necklaces and breastfeeding reminder bracelets) help keep the support site www.lactivist.net running and pay for the production of free leaflets with breastfeeding advice.
The Lactivist facebook page was originally set up to promote Lactivist products but became an invaluable support network for mums who felt criticised elsewhere.
The Lactivist facebook page now has a team of volunteer admins who help keep this place safe, in order to do this we have to impose a few rules:
- Keep it friendly, please respect that breastfeeding is an emotive issue, you may not agree with someone but please do not criticise them personally.
Admins will delete posts that are aggressive or directed personally.
- No breastfeeding pictures, we do support the on going fight against Facebook and their backwards stance on nursing photo’s.
However this page provides vital support and advice for nursing mothers and we will not risk the page being deleted over breastfeeding photo’s being posted on it.
We cannot fight all battles. We have a list of groups that are fighting facebook at the bottom of this document.
- Please feel free to post details of breastfeeding events and groups on the page
- Please feel free to post links to groups that you think Lactivist fans might be interested in.
- Please feel free to post pictures of Lactivist products on the page, it makes Lisa very happy indeed to see babies in her t-shirts.
- If you leave a comment on a post it may be used anonymously on www.lactivist.net – this is because Lactivist.net is searchable by google and if you have some helpful advice it may be included in an article so it can help many others.