1 point for each yes answer
- You only breastfeed to annoy other people
- You only breastfeed because it might make people feel guilty or bad
- You only breastfeed to embarrass people
- When you breastfeed you get as much flesh out as possible because you like showing off your body
- When you see a formula feeding mum you point and shout ‘witch, witch, burn them’
- When you see a formula feeding mum you shout at them and tell them they are abusing their child
- When you breastfeed you like to take all your clothes off and get as close to nature as possible to proove your earth mother credentials no matter where you are
- When you see a formula feeding mum you tell them they should be ashamed to call themselves a mother
- When you see a formula feeding mum you assume they cannot read
- You force your baby to breastfeed
- You breastfeed because you are trying to keep your toddler a baby longer
How many did you answer yes to? None? How many would the most millitant Lactivist answer yes to? None? Maybe we are just too busy getting on with our own lives to make our feeding choices about other people.
Maybe when we see a formula feeding mum who says she couldn’t breastfeed we think that the system has failed, not her and it’s a shame there is not more funding around to help them because 99% of mums can physically breastfeed.
Maybe when we see a mum who has chosen to formula feed we can understand that there are many reasons why people choose not to breastfeed, though we believe that some people assume that formula is as good for the baby as breastmilk and that is the fault of the heavy marketing campaigns the formula companies spend millions on.
A lot of the answers to the quiz above were taken from real insults and assumptions thrown at breastfeeding mums on Facebook. Lactivist was started in response to negative comments about breastfeeding, comments I would never feel ok about bouncing back to a formula feeding mum as I have in the not so funny quiz here.
I’m not the Breastapo, I’m merely fighting my corner against huge cultural criticism, lack of acceptance and assumptions about what I believe.
I don’t breastfeed to make anyone feel bad. Get over it.